Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Discussion of the Chayon-Ryu Sidekick

I'm still a bit mixed up about this topic myself. Chayon-Ryu means "Natural Way" so there's an effort to make all the strikes and kicks use movements your body does already. This sounds great in theory. In practice, I find it a bit trying just because I am used to kicking differently from the other karate styles I have studied.

The Chayon-Ryu sidekick is practiced from a horse stance. You do a step-behind movement and lift your front kicking leg as high as you can comfortably while looking at your target. Hands are outstretched to either side of yourself for balance. At this point, you probably (haven't confirmed with an instructor) form your foot and harden it. Fire the kick out, striking with the heel. As you strike your rear hand should be outstretched to the other side in reciprocal movement with the kicking leg and should approximate the same height level as the kicking foot. Rechamber and recover by placing the kicking foot on the ground into another horse stance.

Many karate styles would consider this sloppy because your hands seemingly fly around, but Chayon-Ryu considers this to be optimal because it is natural? Hmm, I dunno. I don't think it's a good idea for quicker recovery for another technique but I can see that it would be an easier way for the absolute rank beginner to kick.

More on this and the roundhouse kick when I get a chance and remember to blog about it.

No comments: